Remote, IL US
Etsy's Data Enablement organization's mission is to enable the use of data at scale at Etsy and to unlock learning through experimentation. As part of the Data Governance & Privacy team, you will join a highly visible team with a top priority of protecting sensitive information of Etsy's buyers and sellers. The team is responsible for building services and processes to protect Personally Identifiable Information (PII) in our data warehouses. You'll be part of Etsy's journey to modernize how we protect personal data
We work with Google Cloud Platform (GCP) services, such as Cloud Storage, BigQuery, Cloud Dataflow, Cloud Pub/Sub, and Data Loss Prevention (DLP). Languages include Java, Python, PHP and SQL, and we work with technologies like Terraform, Spark, Airflow, and BigQuery. Experience with any of these is helpful but not required; above all, we value curiosity, responsibility, and eagerness to solve complex engineering problems. We're looking for a flexible engineer, who can work with our internal customers, and embraces pivoting to the appropriate tool for the job rather than having deep expertise in single systems
The technical staff at Etsy believes that code is craft, and that the work we do is part of a larger creative culture that includes the hundreds of thousands of inspired artists and designers who make Etsy such a unique marketplace. We believe that small, empowered, self-motivated teams can do big things. We believe in measuring everything, taking advantage of our continuous deployment system to ship code early and often, and keeping up a blameless culture based on trust and a commitment to learning.
This is a position reporting to the Engineering Manager, Data Governance & Privacy. For this role, we are considering candidates who are either remote, flex, or office-based. Our team is geographically dispersed, but work in North America Time Zones
What does the day-to-day look like?
- You will build and maintain internal tools for tracking and inventorying GCS filesets using Google Storage Insight
- You will work with your team to develop methods to programmatically apply column tags and Policy Tags on BigQuery data sets to identify and protection Personally Identifiable Information
- You will help measure the team’s progress in our work by creating dashboards and monitoring in tools such as Looker or Tableau
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- You have familiarity with some of the following: Google Cloud Platform (GCP) services, such as Cloud Storage, BigQuery, Cloud Dataflow, Cloud Pub/Sub, and Data Loss Prevention (DLP), creating dashboards in tools such as Looker or Tableau for monitoring and insights, building and monitoring cloud services, infrastructure as code technologies such as Terraform, AWS Cloud Formation, Ansible, etc, Big Data experience with tools such as Spark.
- You understand that being an effective software engineer is about communicating with people as much as it is about writing code
- You are generous with your time and experience, and can mentor and learn from other engineers
- You can tackle unconstrained problems and know when to seek help
- You are flexible with languages and tools and are willing to learn whatever is necessary to get the job done.