Technical Project Manager
Chicago, IL 60606
Technical Project Manager
Focuses on delivery of high-risk projects within IT involving many different stakeholders from developers, to QA staff, to business owners, operations staff, and various IT management groups. Plays the role of “ execution manager” acting as the “ general contractor” for the project and as the liaison to the project owner. Role also advocates for the overall project goals across the larger organization. Possesses strong technology solution and integration awareness of managed projects. Often also may serve as lead business analyst and/or functional architect on projects. Leads the implementation and introduction of new systems and technologies. Demonstrates responsibility in communication processes. Proactively participates in planning discussions and scheduling decisions. Accountable for the delivery of products on deadlines, while maintaining budgetary responsibilities and keeping the project in scope.
- Leads the implementation of projects, coordinating efforts in multiple medium-to large-scale projects of an increasingly complex and larger scale.
- Possesses strong technology solution awareness and can lead design change and troubleshooting activities during implementation.
- Frequently serves as lead business analyst and/or functional architect on projects
- Works with senior and lead staff to ensure all projects are executing in accordance with the approved solution, escalating technology issues when necessary, clearing able to identify issues and risks while observing projects schedules, budgets, and timelines, and evaluating progress.
- Performs basic project management functions while often partnering with other project managers on larger projects.
Skills & Software Requirements:
- Candidate should be highly engaged, results-oriented, assertive, entrepreneurial in spirit with respect for technology and business analysis with a focus on helping to deliver medium to large projects.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, and presentation skills required.
- Excellent grasp of integration, interface and/or architectural design concepts
- Excellent business analysis requirements solicitation skills
- The candidate needs to exhibit good business judgment, the ability to direct and critique the work of others while maintaining a collaborative team environment.
- Appreciation for process in general, interested in accountability and decision traceability as well as aspirations towards leadership.
- 6-8 years of previous experience with IT Business Analysis and/or Software Engineering/Architecture.
- Experience with managing projects and/or programs with varying degrees of complexity and organizational integration is a definite plus.
- Experience with infrastructure technology or security projects is a plus, as is a background in consulting.
- Knowledge of project management processes, organizational change management concepts, and business process improvement methods are all a plus.
- Bachelor’ s degree or equivalent required. Liberal arts majors will be considered.