Sr. Software Engineer
425 W. Randolph St. Chicago, IL 60606
Our client is seeking a talented Sr. Software Engineer to work in the Connected Vehicle Services group. The team develops high-volume, low-latency, real-time event processing and machine learning systems in a cloud environment to enable “ highly automated driving” cars.
We are looking for people to help us build systems that collect and analyze sensor data from cars and turn that data into the information that will enable self-driving cars.
• Read through user stories in Jira and understand your commitments
• Catch up with your team on what was accomplished yesterday and plan today’ s work
• Discuss the design and implementation approach of new features and negotiate acceptance criteria.
• Write clean, fast code to implement new features
• Learn and play with the code that is about to change and think how to improve it
• Make sure changing code has enough unit test coverage
• Read or watch some tech article, learn about new Java features, or the upcoming Star Wars movie
• Deploy a stack into AWS with your code
• Do a code review or respond to yours
• Celebrate successes with your team members
Smart – We are looking for someone who understands how all software components fit together. From persisting data to message processing, you understand how to create a highly scalable, highly available system deployed in the cloud (Storm, Akka, Spark, Kafka, Zookeeper and all things AWS). You have a solid understanding of Linux and container systems (Docker, ECS, Kubernetes).
Team Player – No one is an Island! Our teams are highly collaborative. You believe that a team can accomplish more than one person working alone and continuous improvement is key to a team’ s success. When you learn something new you are eager to share your findings with others
Adaptable – Our products are evolving and as they evolve our technical solutions evolve as well. You easily pick up new technologies and use those technologies to solve problems in creative and innovative ways. You use processes like Agile and Lean to enable software development.
Driven – Figure it out! Creating and delivering valuable software is your top priority. You know your code will work because it is covered in tests. TDD and BDD are your main methods of achieving high test coverage. To deliver quickly, you believe automation is key.
• Bachelor or Master’ s Degree in Computer Science/Information Systems or equivalent
• 5+ years of engineering experience
• Proven ability to work independently with limited supervision
• Excellent team player with the ability to work within a collaborative environment
• Creative, resourceful and innovative problem solver
• Great communication skills (including active listening and comprehending requirements)
• Comfortable with Python or other scripting language
• Prior experience with AWS
• Solid understanding of the Linux Penguin
• Familiar with Agile methodology
• Experience with BDD and TDD
• Visited and laughed at xkcd.com