Senior Network Operations Engineer
353 N. Clark, #3100 Chicago, IL 60654
Senior Network Operations Engineer
Network Operations provides 24x7 support for the organization’ s global production network infrastructure by performing proactive routines that ensure service impacts are avoided. Staff members also interact with customers and peers in Operations and Engineering to facilitate effective handling of service requests and connectivity issues.
- Incident Management
Proactive checkouts and monitoring to avoid service outages or limit their impact. Troubleshooting and fault isolation to restore service when necessary.
- Problem Management
Solutions for Incident Management from Case Study evaluations. This includes development of the related root cause flow charts and troubleshooting procedures that streamline the time required to isolate faults and restore service.
- Operational Readiness for New Services
Completing checklists that support pre-production deployment of network services. This includes assurance that Network Operations has updated management for all related network components, is performing pro-active routines to ensure optimal network health, understands the service and it’ s dependencies, and the staff is capable of performing established recovery procedures.
- Change Management Planning and Configuration Implementation
Coordination of changes at the CAB and periodic quality reviews with Engineering. Implementation of tasks assigned to Network Operations and support for those implemented by Network Engineering.
- Service Requests, Network Maintenance, and Operational Support
Executing requests for analysis or support. Representing Network Operations’ strategic initiatives such as vendor service level reviews, Asset Management, and Capacity Management. Coordination and support for pro-active maintenance activities required to keep the infrastructure in good health.
- Process Improvement
Specific tasks assigned by management to own that deliver operational support improvements to a technology, process, tool, or service.
- Certification at or above the Juniper JNCIS is preferred, although an equivalent Cisco CCNP/CCIE certification is acceptable.
- Solid knowledge and experience of multicast troubleshooting in a switch/routed network.
- Experience with routing protocols and concepts (OSPF, BGP, MPLS, Traffic Engineering, etc)
- Advanced knowledge and inner-workings of TCP/IP, Layer 2 and 3 switching.
- Position requires superior customer service skills; Leadership traits are highly helpful.
- Ability to work in a team oriented environment is essential
- Weekend and off hours support is required
- The candidate will ideally have a Bachelor’ s degree with 5 years of relevant experience or 10+ years in lieu of educational credentials
- Ability to grasp, document, and teach complex concepts and architecture.
- In-depth knowledge of enterprise switches, routers and firewalls.
- Ability to run and analyze sniffer traces (network data).
- Develop and maintain domain expertise across network eco-system.
- Interact with advanced level engineering design and support solutions.
- Perform all levels of routine network analysis
- Perform monitoring for new events to open incidents
- Working knowledge of how to use management tools
- Do you have a solid working and troubleshooting knowledge of multicast, and MPLS including Traffic Engineering?
- Do you have a solid working and troubleshooting knowledge of routing protocols: BGP and OSPF?
- This position requires superior customer services skills. Are you able to maintain your composure under a stressful situation and reflect the professionalism of our organization?
- Weekend rotational support is required. Does this fit into your lifestyle?
- Off hours support is required during emergency situations. Are you willing to work on a team that is expected to be available even when not during your normally scheduled working hours?
- Documentation is a critical component of operational support. Do you agree that this is not just a tedious task best left for others?
- Are you willing to contribute to the continual development of those around you?
- Are you comfortable being accountable to continually progress your own development?