Chicago, IL 60602
In a buy-side financial services setting, the Developer works as part of a project team to design, develop and maintain integrations and applications based on requests from front, middle and back office business units. This individual will use industry leading development practices such as Agile, messaging and test driven development approaches to complete projects and deliver solutions to business units. The position also requires knowledge of data management strategies with a focus on backend development and data integration.
This role is in the process of gaining expertise and knowledge of the securities industry, technology and business processes. Junior developers collaborate heavily with users and project team members to gain this knowledge, exhibiting an openness to learning techniques such as behavior driven design, business processes and development skills. This role will rely on regular communication with the development team and development manager for guidance and to review suggested approaches to problem solving. Junior developers are responsible for implementing designs established collaboratively with project and development teams.
Good communications skills and strong knowledge of the securities industry are also very important. Harris Associates is a top tier global investment management firm with 24 hours x 6 day trading operations.
Duties and responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with users and BA to perform analysis, gather requirements, develop test plans and assist quality assurance process. This includes identifying problems, recommending solutions, breaking down work into tasks and providing regular updates and activity tracking.
- Follow development processes for source control, builds, reviews, deployments and change control. Collaborate with other team members to improve standards and best practices related to integration design, development process and data governance.
- Exhibit a deep passion for learning both technologies and business processes. Show deep curiosity about Harris processes and systems.
- Critical skills include troubleshooting, problem solving, critical thinking and attention to detail. Ability to work together with project and development teams and convey thoughts clearly and concisely is also key.
- Create and maintain architectural and design documentation.
- Participate in code and technical design reviews ensuring high quality, consistent code.
- Learn design patterns and development best practices.
- The role will be responsible for full SDLC work beginning with analysis and design phases, through development and testing. It also includes preparing applications for deployment as well as support of changes – hand-over to support will be critical to success.
- Available to perform occasional weeknight and weekend support of deployments and assist production support staff as needed.
Position Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
- Must be a team player with very strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
- Drive to learn new technologies and improve the technological/operating environment.
- Proven ability to effectively work with team members and business users in a 24 x 6 environment.
- Experience with full systems development lifecycle (SDLC) using Agile/Scrum methodology and Jira.
- 1+ years’ development experience.
- Experience with .Net framework (4.x and earlier), focusing on C#, ASP.Net, MVC, Entity Framework, LINQ.
- Experience with T-SQL and SSIS (ETL) on SQL Server 2012 and greater.
- Good understanding of Web Services protocols such as REST, SOAP and API design for extensibility.
- Solid experience with source control tools (e.g. SVN, Git), including branching and merging.
- Experience with TDD (Test Driven Development) or BDD (Behavior Driven Development) and testing frameworks including MSTest, NUnit or SpecFlow.
- Knowledge of messaging patterns, especially pub/sub, utilizing NServiceBus, RabbitMQ, etc.
- Understanding of cloud development including the Software as a Service (SaaS) model.
- Experience supporting and understanding web applications, including IIS.
- Experience providing financial solutions by integrating trading/asset management industry platforms – including Charles River, SalesForce, Eagle and Axys or equivalent systems.
- DevOps processes including utilizing Bitbucket, Bamboo and XL Deploy platforms to setup automated development processes for Continuous Integration.
- Scheduling systems and automation tools for batch processing, such as ActiveBatch.
- Programming automating interfaces to data sources such as Bloomberg or Factset.
- 4-year degree in Computer Science or related discipline