Infrastructure Operations Manager
900 North Michigan Suite 1100 Chicago, IL 60610
Infrastructure Operations Manager
The Infrastructure Operations Manager will focus on leading the Operations team responsible for the management, monitoring and troubleshooting of the firm’ s infrastructure environment, including but not limited to the network, data centers, cloud, end user devices, collaboration solutions, and management solutions for monitoring, user and device management, access control, and patching. In addition to managing to the team, handling communications and providing periodic performance reports, the Infrastructure Operations manager is expected to also be hands-on with handling day to day issues or requests. Additionally, he or she must partner with other technology managers across IT security, product management, architecture & engineering and application support to ensure delivery of robust technology solutions for the firm.
The individual will be involved in the following critical activities:
- Provide leadership and guidance to a team of operations engineers (including managed service provider) as they triage and troubleshoot complex system issues, with an understanding of the different domains in which problems may lie (e.g., network, data centers, cloud, servers, access control, user and device management solutions, email services, monitoring solutions, Video conferencing, backup solutions, patching).
- Manage, monitor and troubleshoot the firm’ s production infrastructure, including but not limited to the network, data centers, cloud, end user devices, collaboration solutions, and management solutions for monitoring, user and device management, access control, and patching.
- Have direct daily oversight and involvement of ad-hoc support request tracking & prioritization coming through the firm’ s Incident Management platform (ServiceNow), and serve as the first point of contact for critical service incidents escalated within or to the team.
- Manage service provider relationships to ensure that deliverables and Service Level Agreements (SLAs) are met.
- Run an operational organization while optimizing operational activities and driving visibility into operations through analysis, trends and measurement.
- Produce periodic operational reports, including metrics to measure performance indicators to drive stability and uptime to production and user systems.
- Establish and maintain strong partnerships and relationships with the other IT leaders across the technology department (e.g., IT Security, Architecture & Engineering, End User Support, Application Support, Product Management) to ensure delivery of robust technology solutions for the firm.
- Author and maintain appropriate policies, procedures and documentation for IT Operations.
- Set, maintain and improve alerting and monitoring of all systems, applications and critical infrastructure
- Ensure adherence to existing IT methodologies, standards, policies documentation, and quality control standards.
- Work with the other technology teams and business units to communicate valuable information about system maintenance, changes, and events.
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The ideal experience and critical competencies for the role include the following:
§ BA/BS Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field. Industry certifications preferred.
§ 5+ years of infrastructure and operations experience in a technical role, including team management.
- Demonstrated excellence and depth in best practices for managing the availability, performance and scale of IT systems at an enterprise (mid to large) level.
- Experience with one or more infrastructure disciplines: Storage, SQL databases, Cloud, Virtualization / Server Hardware, Windows operating systems (7 & 10), Networking, Microsoft application suite (Office 365).
- Excellent leadership, mentorship, communication, negotiation, and prioritization skills.
- Ability to demonstrate calm diplomacy and professionalism under pressure during rapid change, conflicting demands and crisis management.
- Ability to adapt within a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to articulate your thoughts in a clear and concise manner to both business users and IT staff through written correspondence, presentations and/or meetings.
- Demonstrated team player, self-starter, and independent thinker.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and highly self-motivated.
- Capable of multitasking and prioritization in a fast-paced environment, effectively and efficiently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and work ethic.
- Good customer service skills.