900 North Michigan Suite 1100 Chicago, IL 60610
The Data Architect serves within the IT-Product and Strategy. This individual understands the Firm’ s data and how it relates to business processes and tasks, commonly known as Business Information Model(s). The individual drives practices for ensuring that data is consistently of the highest quality and trusted by the Firm and its clients as a single source of truth. This individual is responsible for the data architecture of both internally sourced and externally provided data consumed and derived by the Firm’ s IT systems at the enterprise level. This individual leads a team responsible for implementing and managing the Firm’ s data definition, governance, and modeling program along with efforts to get the most out of our data via business intelligence and reporting tools. The Data Architect serves as a liaison between all IT functions to ensure enterprise data practices and standards are being established and followed. Furthermore, they maintain strong relationships with business leaders and data vendors and stays abreast of industry best practices and regulatory initiatives affecting data. This role also partners with the IT software engineering teams to implement solutions to ensure data quality and accuracy.
The individual will be involved in the following critical activities:
- Establishes, maintains, and enforces data definition, governance, modeling, integration, and monitoring practices across the enterprise.
- Responsible for defining data integration strategy for the enterprise.
- Responsible for building the data flow process for major enterprise initiatives.
- Provides oversight and architectural guidance during solution design and delivery phases for all major enterprise initiatives.
- Provide senior level guidance and expertise for in-depth data analysis, data modeling, data administration, and documentation tasks on datasets and integrations.
- Defines conceptual and logical data models across the enterprise and partner with Engineering, Infrastructure, Security, Risk, and Software Management teams to transform logical models into implementations.
- Designs data APIs and interfaces using enterprise data integration technologies.
- Designs and develops ad-hoc/POC data management and integration processes.
- Designs database automation, scripting and scheduling practices.
- Possesses technical expertise and provides senior level support on enterprise data management technologies.
- Own Enterprise Data Dictionary. Partners with Data Manager to ensure business definition and context are effectively represented.
- Ability to manage the lifecycle of the data including but not limited to attributes, subject-areas, entities and domains across various layers of architecture, from definition to reporting.
- Act as stakeholder and provide guidance on enterprise data governance initiatives.
- Own database and data integration platforms, tooling, best-practices, and vendor relationships (including licensing and subscription management).
- Work side by side with development team members to ensure a consistent technical landscape aligned to technical architecture vision.
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The ideal experience and critical competencies for the role include the following:
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Computer Science, Business or equivalent field.
- 5 – 8 years of experience managing data in a financial services environment.
- 5+ year experience with canonical data modeling, dimensional modeling, data mart development and ETL development.
- Knowledgeable in data management practices; has led data management initiatives and is familiar with data management tools such as ER-WIN.
- Familiar with and able to leverage a variety of professional and standards organizations such as DM-BOK.
- Familiar with and interested in data used in financial services or investing.
- Enjoys a collaborative environment.
- Solid understanding of Microsoft SQL, Amazon RedShift, NoSQL solutions (Mongo/RavenDB /PostGreSQL) and other high powered data platforms are required.
- Experience working in an agile team environment is strongly preferred
- Strong knowledge version control, continuous integration and agile QA procedures (TDD / BDD) within a data team.
- Conversant with database technologies and has worked with engineers implementing technology solutions.
- Effective communicator with ability to motivate others to share in a common vision and enthusiasm.
- Powerful analytical skillset.
- Displays adaptability and dependability; is dedicated to the quality of the underlying data at the Firm.
- Ability to adapt within a rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrated team player, self-starter, and independent thinker
- Outstanding decision making and problem solving skills