Android Engineering Lead
Chicago, IL 60601
Android Engineering Lead
You are a Mobile Software Engineering Lead with expertise in the implementation and design of software applications, including libraries, methodology, process and tool stack. You thrive in environments where you are focused writing performant code that supports thousands of active users. You enjoy the experience of writing software for a variety of device types and take ownership of the products that you contribute to. You understand the importance of understanding the context in which your software operates and can rationalize implementation details with the bigger picture. You’ re seeking to drive tangible impact in your next career opportunity. You want to build things that matter.
You will provide technical leadership to a growing team of talented Android engineers developing software to run on over 150, 000 devices across the country. The firm owns the entire stack, from hardware to software UI; the challenges you' ll face here are unique and exciting. You' ll put your skills to work setting quality standards for the department, and architecting Android software that will be built upon for years.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as collaborate with a diverse team.
- Accountable for resolution of the most technically challenging issues facing the organization.
- Write code with increasing quality and maintainability.
- Guide the architecture of large features which impact all parts of the company, identifying issues and raising concerns/blockers for mitigation.
- Model the standard for technical excellence, define “ Definition of Done” for Android code and documentation.
- Guide and mentor Android developers on the team.
- Collaborate with Product/Experience management and analyze technical risk/rewards of new features in order to prioritize implementation.
- Research and introduce new technology to improve the applications and/or the development pipeline.
- Host learning sessions both with the Android team and other teams, to teach, inform and increase overall skill-set.
- 6+ years Android development.
- 3+ years experience providing technical leadership for a team of Android developers.
- 3+ years writing and maintaining unit and Android tests.
- 3+ years working with SQLite databases as it pertains to Android applications.
- 2+ years experience on embedded/kiosk type devices.
- 1+ years Kotlin experience.
- Experience with long-term maintenance of Android applications.
- BSc in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience with Test Driven Development.
- Experience with Event-Driven Development.
- Expertise in defining API contracts for use by Mobile Devices.
- Experience with configuring/building Android images a plus.
- Jira experience a plus.