Android Development Manager
330 North Wabash Ave #2500 Chicago Chicago, IL 60601
Android Development Manager
You are an energetic engineering people leader with expertise developing products in the enterprise, mobile or healthcare space. You’ ll work with all aspects of the product and platform development, including collaborating with hardware, media content and design engineering teams to build our end to end platform solutions.
As an Android Development Manager it’ s essential that you have the breadth of knowledge to lead development of a contemporary Android architecture. Practical development experience using Java and Kotlin, is required for the right candidate to succeed in supporting the team. You should be curious about technology and open to learning about and applying new innovations from the rest of the software industry.
You have a passion for contributing to the development of high-performance teams through rigorous goal-setting, disciplined attention to performance metrics, continuous process improvement and mentorship. You delight in managing people to their fullest potential and thrive in a culture of innovation.
You understand that leveraging technology is a means to an end, accomplishing the mission of building a decision platform that positively impacts the health outcome for every person, everywhere. You want to build things that matter.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- This is a predominantly management role with 80% management and 20% code contribution.
- Understand your team, enable their career development while managing their performance.
- Provide technical guidance, mentorship, and assistance your direct reports.
- Build trust and alignment across the organization and between teams. Support a culture of responsibility and pride of quality.
- Deliver projects and releases across multiple teams on time by identifying and mitigating risks through the development process. Identify and resolve project technical dependencies.
- Evaluate teams and describe resourcing gaps. Hire/train new team members.
- Monitor team velocity and help teams improve. Own the escalation path for impediments.
- Collaborate with Architects, Product Managers and Technical Program Managers to manage the Product Backlog in a way that balances the needs of the technology and the business.
- Develop training resources for team members.
- Facilitate team stand-ups, planning, and review meetings as Functional Manager.
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
- Advanced degree (Phd/MSc) or equivalent industry experience
- 6+ years of Software Engineering management experience
- 10+ years of professional software development experience
- 5+ years of experience developing Android applications with Java
- 3+ years writing and maintaining unit and Android tests.
- 3+ years working with SQLite databases as it pertains to Android applications.
- Experience working within Scrum is required.
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and project management to understand requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
- Thorough understanding of software architecture and object-oriented design
- Strong knowledge of software development methodologies and best practices
- 1+ year of Kotlin development is desired
- 2+ years of working within AWS technologies is desired
- 2+ years experience on embedded/kiosk type devices is desired
Behaviors and Abilities Required:
- Ability to adapt and handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to drive a project throughout the full software development lifecycle.
- Work effectively and remain focused during periods of ambiguity
- Manage risk.
- Be an effective communicator and teacher, able to bridge gaps within the organization through collaboration
Must be willing to travel to NYC up to 10%