VP of Data Warehousing Technology
VP of Portfolio Management & Data Warehousing Technology
The Technology Solutions department is responsible for designing and delivering state of the art technology solutions that are designed to create efficiency, mitigate risk, and grow revenue for the Firm. Technology Solutions focuses on technical excellence through innovative application designs, robust data integration and analytics, high availability infrastructure, and gold level service for our key stakeholders. Critical functions within Technology Solutions include Project Management, Vendor Management, Business Analysis, Data Strategy and Stewardship, Application Development and 3rd Party Integration, Strategic Infrastructure, and Operations. The Technology Solutions department collaborates closely with Firm leadership and business unit heads to develop plans in line with business objectives.
The Technology Solutions Department is looking for a hands-on, skilled application manager for the Portfolio Management and Data Warehouse Technology Team to manage our enterprise data warehouse and reporting/analytics across all business units. This position will manage a suite of primarily in-house developed systems including a Data Warehouse, Data Warehouse Administration Tool, Data Dictionary, Entity Master and Financials Database across database, user interface, ETL and reporting platforms. Responsibilities include management of a team of both employees and 3rd party contractors to delivery high quality enhancements, identifying data integrity/quality issues, and designing technical and/or process solutions to meet complex business demands. The candidate will also be responsible for leading Data Governance and Data Stewardship initiatives as well as business analysis and project management duties as they pertain to the usage of the data, maintenance of Entity Master and implementation/adoption of the Data Dictionary. The ideal candidate has a strong technical and business analyst background, with extensive Data Warehouse, Reporting and Analytics experience. The candidate should have a blend of problem-solving skills combined with an inquisitive nature and passion for data and technology to independently deliver exceptional service and technology solutions to our business clients. Since this is a client-facing role that requires communication with users at all levels, exceptional verbal and written communication skills are necessary.
- Enhance the Data Warehouse, Data Dictionary, Entity Master, Financials DB
- Work with business stakeholders to leverage the Data Warehouse and replace and/or integrate one-off end user computing solutions (primarily Excel)
- Support users that leverage in-scope applications. Participate in problem analysis with business users and assist in determining software solutions and enhancements. Provide maintenance break/fix ownership and support for applications in scope and collaborate as needed with other areas of the Technology Solutions Department to get all issues resolved to the users’ satisfaction.
- Build continuous improvement with the technologies and products you are responsible for supporting. Willingness to learn and apply technology, and liaise with both internal clients and the internal Application Development Team when needed.
- Understand data relationships and document data in an Entity Relationship Diagram. Hands-on data analysis using SQL, stored procedures, Excel pivot tables and other data extraction, analysis and reporting methods.
- Analyze and document business requirements and business process flows for solutions. Understand the fundamental business processes and usage of the systems in scope. Identify how we can better leverage our technology investments to create efficiency, mitigate/lower risks and/or create revenue generating opportunities.
- Ensure deliverables satisfy user requirements by conducting design reviews as well developing and executing comprehensive test plans
- Demonstrate flexibility by adjusting priorities to respond to changing internal/external demands
- Anticipate potential problems or opportunities and recommend new solutions that are best suited for application infrastructure
- Document, design and implement integration between systems
- Meet project deadlines, release schedules using project plans and task lists to hold self, peers and vendor resources accountable to their due dates
- Build strong, productive, cost effective working relationships with our strategic vendors
- Maintain firm-wide view of dataflow and architecture to understand how changes in area of responsibility impact upstream/downstream systems and data stores
- Lead Senior Stakeholder meetings providing updates on projects and future projects; lead stakeholders through key decisions and get buy-in
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’ s Degree and 7-10 years of related technology experience preferably in Financial Services
- Demonstrated recent experience in a data intensive leadership role, managing a team of 5-8 diverse resources (e.g. developers, business analysts, consultants) with high frequency delivery
- Demonstrated prior technical experience developing data intensive solutions
- Experience in application development using some of the following:
- SQL Server 2012 or higher
- SSIS or similar ETL tool
- SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) for SQL query development
- Experience working within all phases of the SDLC in a team-oriented structured development methodology
- Self-motivated, team oriented, flexible and able to multi-task. Delivery oriented with high quality standards. Motivated by a fast paced, complex environment.
- Resourceful, able to navigate organization to accomplish firm, department and individual goals
- Ability to prioritize among competing resources
- Ability to think big picture and constantly visualize the end user experience. Client-oriented with excellent customer service skills.
- Proactive self-starter with a positive can-do and ‘ no job too small’ attitude
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Proactively stays current with technology to develop innovative solutions for the business
- Hands-on experience with any of the following vendor packages or similar products: Data Warehouse Design, Qlikview/QlikSense or similar BI tool
- Experience in developing Data Governance/Data Stewardship
- Prior experience with the following considered a plus:
- Visual Studio 2012 or higher
- .NET v4.0 or higher
- ASP.NET and MVC v3 or higher
- QlikView/QlikSense or similar analytic tool
- SSRS or similar reporting tool
Critical Competencies for Success:
- Client Focused: Is relentless about understanding internal and external customers’ needs and meeting and exceeding their expectations; drives to have our clients win
- Analytical Reasoning: Defines problems and seeks solutions by examining issues and ideas through inquiry, analysis, dialogue, and evaluation; analytic
- Personal Effectiveness: Gets the job done; follows through on commitments and takes actions that are best for the Firm; shows grit and determination
- Initiative: Motivated to achieve goals beyond what is expected; proactive
- Team Work: Initiates and maintains collaborative working relationships; fosters goodwill and cooperation to meet shared goals; team-oriented
- Adaptability: Able to adapt and work effectively in changing circumstances and conditions; flexible
Critical Leadership Competencies for Success:
- Attracts and Develops Employees: Assess candidates for culture and job fit; supports professional development formally and informally by coaching, encouraging two-way communication and providing challenging tasks and assignments; is a talent magnet
- Drives Accountability: Builds a culture in which people understand performance and behavioral expectations and receive the support and direction they need to achieve individual and team goals; fosters culture of accountability
- Builds an Engaged Team: Cultivates a culture of employee engagement and teamwork seeking input from the team, promoting collaboration across the Firm and recognizing employee and team successes; nurtures a “ humming” team