Systems Engineer (UNIX Admin)
Chicago, IL 60606
Systems Engineer (UNIX/Linux Admin)
We are ETPA (Enterprise Technology Production Assurance), a very advanced and dedicated team staffed with talented people who have a diverse skillset. The ETPA Systems Engineer combines traditional systems admin skills along with advanced application support, automation, and troubleshooting skills to enable rapid resolution of critical issues with the electronic trading system.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for building and running large-scale, massively distributed, fault tolerant, and latency sensitive applications that run the client' s business and provide our customers with extremely fast access to our markets. This individual will work on systems that must achieve a unique blend of ultra-low latency performance, the capacity to seamlessly facilitate the busiest trading days during times of turmoil or surprises in the world economy, and rock-solid reliability and integrity, all while undergoing rapid release cycles. It’ s a very critical and exciting role where every day is different, challenging, and rewarding.
- Works closely with our Technical Operations and Business Operations teams on critical issues by evaluating the problem, proposing and implementing resolutions, and partnering with other teams (DBAs, Networking, Development, etc) as needed for the resolution.
- Solves problems creatively and communicate effectively.
- Deploys in-house and 3rd party applications with a keen focus on automation and hardening.
- Identifies and resolves performance issues and bottlenecks.
- Collaborates with our Global Information Security team to provide secure solutions.
- Operates as an outstanding team player, works well with others, and possesses a positive attitude.
- Ability to provide effective and timely solutions in a very fast-paced environment where multitasking and attention to detail is critical.
- Self-motivated and great under pressure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A strong desire to develop skills and continue to grow.
- Ability to be self-motivated, capable of managing time well, and works efficiently without close supervision in a very dynamic environment.
- In-depth Linux/Unix system administrator experience where the individual has had root access in a large (10, 000+ servers) critical production environment.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving capabilities.
- Scripting skills (shell, Python, Perl, etc).
- Technical skills supporting 3rd party applications including Tibco RV and FTL, Kafka, Ansible, Jenkins, and Chef.
- AWS experience.
- A solid understanding of Linux/Unix operating systems along with networking, particularly the ability to troubleshoot issues that involve the network, interpret packet captures, and diagnose connectivity issues. Multicast experience is a plus.
- Configuration management and change management experience.
- A Bachelor’ s/Master’ s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related discipline; or equivalent combination of education and relevant proven work experience that is required for the specific job title.